28 August, 2019; 8:30 – 9:30 AM (EDT) In this increasingly complex and interconnected global scientific ecosystem, Open Science aims to make knowledge transparent and accessible using digital technologies, collaborative networks, and tools. Researchers need to apply the principles of openness to all the stages of their research cycle as a step forward towards Open Science to increase openness, integrity, collaboration, and reproducibility in scholarly research. This webinar will give a detailed overview of the concept of Open Science and its fundamental aspects like Open Access, Open Data etc. It will also highlight how researchers can contribute to Open Science by sharing all their research outputs, resources, methods, or tools openly.
After this webinar, you will have a better understanding of the following:
- Overview and Importance of Open Science
- Awareness regarding Open Access publishing
- The significance of Open Data sharing
- Understanding the importance of self-archiving in Open Repositories
- Insights into Open Peer Review and Open Licensing
- Summary of Open Source and Open Education Resources
About the Speaker
Dr. Fiona Murphy
Owner of Murphy Mitchell Consulting Ltd.
Publishing and Training Consultant, Enago Academy
- Dr. Murphy is an independent Open Science and publishing consultant with more than 20 years of experience in scientific and scholarly publishing.
- After completing a DPhil in English Literature (University of Oxford), Dr. Murphy has collaborated with several reputed publishers like Oxford University Press, Bloomsbury Academic, and Earth and Environmental Sciences at Wiley.
- She is currently a board member of the data repository, Dryad and an Editorial Board Member of the Data Science Journal.
- Along with holding an Associate Fellowship at the University of Reading, she is also a member of Peer Review board of Research Data in the Earth Sciences, Data2Paper and Belmont Forum, and a co-Chair of WDS-RDA Publishing Data Workflows Working Group and Force11 Scholarly Commons Working Group.
- Dr. Murphy has written and presented widely on data publishing, Open Data, and Open Science.